Reasons You May Need a Root Canal
How a root canal from your dentist in Noblesville, IN, can save your smile
If you have tooth pain, you may be wondering if you need a root canal. The truth is, only your dentist can tell for sure if you need a root canal. Chronic tooth pain is an excellent reason to visit your dentist for an examination and x-rays, to see if you and your smile can benefit from root canal therapy.
Dr. Jaclyn Ridder of Cumberland Pointe Dental in Noblesville, IN, offers comprehensive dental care services, including root canal therapy to save your smile.
You might need a root canal if you:
- Have experienced trauma to your face, jaws, or mouth
- Are suffering from untreated tooth decay
- Have chronic habits like grinding or clenching your teeth
You need a root canal if the innermost layer of your tooth, an area known as the pulp chamber, has been bruised or damaged. The pulp chamber is where the blood supply and nerve supply to your tooth are located.
When the pulp chamber is damaged, inflammation begins, followed by a buildup of fluid inside your tooth. Fluid buildup leads to pressure and pain, and it’s a bit like a teapot getting ready to boil. Your tooth is getting ready to boil too!
You may experience signs and symptoms like these when you need a root canal:
- Acute dental pain when you bite down on something
- Increasing dental pain when your tooth is exposed to hot or cold foods or drinks
- Dental pain that radiates to other areas including your jaws or face
- Tooth pain that doesn’t go away or gets worse, even after restorative treatment
You may also notice your gums swelling up around the painful tooth, and a red or white bump appearing next to the root of the tooth. You may also notice drainage coming from the bump.
When you suffer tooth pain, go see your dentist as soon as you can. Your dentist will open up your tooth as a first step, which decreases the pressure and starts drying up the fluid inside your tooth, so you can feel better fast.
To find out more about how root canal therapy can help you and your smile, call Dr. Jaclyn Ridder of Cumberland Pointe Dental in Noblesville, IN, at (317) 770-4783. Call now!